Celebrations of faith along our journey
In line with the guidelines for the Sacraments of Initiation for Children Policy of the Archdiocese of Brisbane, our Parish Sacramental Program is family centred and Parish based. What this means is that this program is a partnership in which families and the Parish community work together in the preparation and celebration of the Sacraments of Confirmation, Eucharist and Reconciliation. With the program children can learn what it is to be a Catholic. Please visit the Flame of Faith website here for more information on catholic sacraments.
Baptism, Confirmation, First Communion for younger children
1. Baptism: Infants are baptised at the request of their parents, usually in the first year of life and in their home parish. At least one parent should be Catholic.
2. Confirmation: In the year when children turn eight (Year Three), they are sealed with gift of the Holy Spirit in the Sacrament of Confirmation administered by the Bishop or his delegate.
3. First Communion: In the year when the children turn nine (Year Four), they are welcomed to the Lord’s Table and receive Holy Communion (Eucharist) for the first time. This is the climax of their Christian Initiation. A simple celebration of the second rite of the Sacrament of Penance is included as part of the preparation for First Communion.
4. Penance: In the year when children turn ten (Year Five), they are prepared to celebrate more fully the Sacrament of Penance with individual confession and absolution (first rite of the Sacrament of Penance).
Christian initiation for older children
Please see the Baptism page for more information.
Preparing your child for Sacraments of Initiation
It is the duty of parents and the Parish to offer children prayerful and practical help to celebrate the sacraments with proper devotion and to form them in the rituals of receiving the sacraments. Parishes work with families to help parents prepare their children to grow in their friendship with Jesus and their connection to the Church community.
Following are documents containing information about our Sacramental Programs, the groupings and sessions time tables for Good Samaritan Parish and St John the Baptist Parish.
We also provide dates opening and closing dates for online registration:
1st Term – Eucharist 2019 St John the Baptist Parish
2nd Term – Confirmation 2019 St John the Baptist Parish
3rd Term – Eucharist 2019 Good Samaritan Parish
4th Term – Confirmation 2019 Good Samaritan Parish
The 2019 Penance Program – Good Samaritan & St John the Baptist
Can you give one to two hours to assist our children on their Sacramental Journey? We need your help with:
- Setup and pack up for the sessions.
- Mark off the children’s names and mark workbooks.
- Assist with the morning/afternoon tea.
- Help out with activities in the sessions.
- Help ensure that the Mass celebrations run smoothly.
Pick your job and enlist now by signing up at Volunteer Spot https://tinyurl.com/GSEucharist18
Contact: Pastoral Coordinator Racy Espino
Volunteers need to have a current Blue Card. The Parish will apply for a Blue Card for you at no cost, if you do not have one.
Contact us if you need a form to fill out.
For more information about receiving the Sacraments visit Flame of Faith.
Also for your information Archdiocesan Policy on Christian Initiation for Children.
Kedron Brook Catholic Community
23 Lovedale Street, Wilston QLD
Good Samaritan Parish
170 Kedron Brook Road, Wilston (enter via 23 Lovedale St)
115 Beaconsfield Terrace, Gordon Park
St John the Baptist Parish
St John the Baptist
133 South Pine Road, Enoggera
Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception
18 Halle Street, Everton Park